Monday, May 9, 2011

Game 1- Wildcats vs. Longhorns

Coming out to the field saturday I had feelings similar to that one has when reuniting with an old friend. The Pre game gitters, taking a mental run through of the playbook, and having to pee a million times before the game because of all the water I forced down earlier in the day. I have always hated the wait before the game and always wish it were sometime in the first quarter where all the pre game nonsense and mental preparation were done and gone with.

With the worst part of the game over, the Pre game, I awaited the a results of the coin toss. I was thinking "please let defense start it off", but instead it ended up we were taking the ball first. Luckily I  was on Kick off return which meant I was still in on the first play of the game. I wanted to show everyone the type of physical player that i am and how much fun the physical aspect of the game was so i went all out on the first play. I didn't know later that this physical mentality would take me as far as getting ejected from the game later on, but more on that later.

I ended up killing the guy, not literally, on kick off return starting from the first return to the last which is one of the more pleasant experiences on can have in life in my opinion. But enough of my first play and me in general. When Dad reads this I know exactly what he's going to think. " Ok Eric, less about you and more details about the team and how they did" lol. Ill tell you what, even though i did get ejected from the game, I was on the sidelines keeping everyones head in the game and helping out in every facet that a player on the sideline was capable of doing. And i refused to talk to players who asked me about what happened with my penalty until after the game because there were far more important Things to be worrying or bitching about- like winning the game!

So, in the first quarter up Into the second half the defense started off with the offense having field positionwothin the 40 yd line of scoring about 4 to 5 times. A really crappy situation the defense was put in either because of fumbles,  punts, or the 90 yds of penalties that the team accumulated in the first half. For those of you reading who may not grasp the incredible amount that 90 yds of penalties in a half means, it is a shit load of yards lol but our defense did a great job of making the best out of the situation and I think it ended up being 27-20, us being down seven at the end of the half. Now, the way we scored our 20 points hAd a lot to do with a player we have named max messner. This running back can cut like most backs in the NFL, difference being, he's just a lot smaller. But anyway, he had two td in the first half at least one of being a fake punt which he ran the entire length of the field being stopped just short of the touchdown, only to finish it off the next play.

Now the play that i got ejected from was on a feild goal where i ran over a guy, gave him a palm to the face mask, which resulted in his helmet popping off. I can not tell you how many times i have done this in college or high school and never got penalized, albeit the oppents helmet come off previously. The ref said i grabbed the players hemet with both hands and tried to rip off the helmet purposely which is absolutely not true in any way shape or form. Factors that may have influenced the refs abrupt and irrational decision was mthe fact that our loyal but roudy fans were calling them obscenities to crude to pass along in my blog. Not to mention all the wrong calls and personal Fouls that after reviewing the film the coaches found to be just incredibly wrong and unprofessionally made. 

The refs will review the film to see how long my suspension will be does not have a good angle on the play which may be a good thing or a bad thing, but i don't know. The aarbitrary nature of their calls thus far leaves little room for me to be confident in a sound judgment to be made on my penalty. But it will either be 1,2, or a 3 game suspension. But thats enough on that topic, now back to the game.

The second half our team came out firing and started off with a 3 an out which set the tempo for the rest of the game. A couple of scores on both teams part led to the score being 34-30 with us tailing going into the last moments of the game. The weinheim longhorns, i love how this is the first time introducing the name of the opposing team lol, had the ball with about 2 minutes left and it was looking dim for a wildcats victory. How ever, our defensive back Brauni, stripped the balls and recovered it to give our offense one last chance to take the game. After a few questionable penalties that went both ways on the drive, we scored with 34 seconds left in the game.

To my shagrin, the team was celebrating like the game was over and I had to yell a little bit to remind everyone that the game was far from over. I swear I felt so useless though watching such a close game and not being able to help the team on the field. It was absolute torture. But against the odds, not my lack of presence, but the time left, the awful calls, and the fact that this was our first game and it was our opponents 4th game, my team showed heart and determination comparable to that of my senior year season in college. So we won the game and stayed out and celebrated all night, and now it's back to the grind stone to prepare for our next game against the Greifs.

Ill keep everyone posted on the final decision of my ejection. Thanks for reading.

-Eric 

No comments:

Post a Comment